Elmo Rice Krispie Treat
In a former life, I worked for a PBS/NPR affiliate and made this for a work function. It was a nice alternative to a cake and really easy – I made 6 in the course of one night! These are the instructions for one.
- Elmo Cake Pan (Wilton)
- Gel Food Coloring – No Taste Red (Wilton)
- Gel Food Coloring – Gold (Wilton)
- Gel Food Coloring – Black (Wilton)
- 1 can White Icing
- 1 can Fudge Chocolate Icing
- Gel Decorating Icing – Black
- Melon Baller – optional
- Grease Elmo Cake Pan, spray works well.
- Fix Rice Krispie recipe (see below)
- Pour Rice Krispie into the pan and let cool for about 15 minutes or till pan is still warm to touch.
- Flip over pan onto serving platter or carrier. If pan doesn’t lift off easily, then warm a towel and lay on pan to warm the surface. Lift off when able and let cool completely.
- Tint Icing
1/4 cup white – gold
1/8 cup fudge – black (using fudge/chocolate limits the amount of black food coloring needed)
- Ice eyeballs in white
- Using picture on cake pan label as a guide, outline mouth with black gel decorating icing. Then using the colored fudge icing, fill in mouth. Use a toothpick or knife to guide icing into corners.
- Ice nose in gold icing.
- Using the melon baller, create a circle on the eyeball for Elmo’s iris. Use black gel decorating icing to outline. Let set for a few minutes and then fill in with gel decorating icing.
All Done! Enjoy!
Rice Krispie Recipe
Use Official Rice Krispie recipe found here. Right after marshmallows are melted, add about 1 1/2 tsp red gel food coloring. The color will get deeper as the rice krispie cools.